Logistic and transportation companies have always faced major issues when it comes down to vehicle tracking. For businesses in the transportation industry, it is quite important to keep track of their vehicles and monitor their movement. These businesses spend a fortune to monitor all of these vehicles in order to record and analyze the data associated with vehicle movement such as distance covered. It helps in calculating fuel consumption and other vital factors. They are now actively inculcating the latest technologies to aid them in this process. With the advent of technologies like IoT, companies are now investing heavily in automotive app development to develop solutions to streamline fleet management.
It is an established fact that controlling and monitoring all of the fleets is a reliable option to keep track of the drivers too. Hence, a lot of businesses and enterprises are now dependent on fleet management apps to track the path and route taken by their vehicles. Also, these mobile apps deliver detailed information corresponding to the driving habits of the vehicle drivers, number of stops, speed of the vehicles at different instances and a lot more.
As fleet management apps are now becoming increasingly important, the concept is going to augment in the overall fleet management in the upcoming times. Fleet maintenance app development is also becoming a profitable domain for mobile development services due to the increasing demand for these apps.
Let’s look at the best features that are required to develop a dynamic and innovative fleet management application, along with the cost incurred.
Mentioned below are the basic attributes along with necessary technologies as well as cost governing parameters for the development of such an app:
In a fleet management app, the first section is the driver panel. It is the part of the app which is for the drivers where they can feed information, receive notifications and much more. Some of its key attributes are.
1. Registration- This particular page forms a crucial part of the app. The vehicle drivers can easily login through their email account or simply using social media credentials. Developing the registration section of the app is the key part of fleet management app development, and it needs to be perfectly seamless and easy for the drivers.
2. Real-time GPS Monitoring and Tracking- Under this particular feature, the drivers can easily track the route that they have to follow in order to make the deliveries within a prescribed time frame. This helps the drivers to schedule their stops and keep certain speeds in order to make the delivery without any delay. This feature helps the fleet management companies to reduce the delays and associated loss of money.
3. Trip Timings Update- Using this feature, the drivers can easily update their trip’s starting and ending time for the deliveries. It assists in tracking the total amount of distance covered in a much more transparent way.
4. Status Update- The drivers can easily update the status upon the completion of various tasks allotted to them. They can simply update the vehicles’ status in the fleet so that they can easily be utilized for the purpose of making other deliveries.
5. Reports- This feature of the app generates reports related to the various trips taken by the driver in the vehicles along with the distances covered, which can easily be updated by the drivers.
6. Leader Boards- The drivers can easily update the scores on different leaderboards in order to enable the admin to make much accurate and better decisions.
This part of the app is for the administration of the business to access the data corresponding to different aspects of driver movement, maintenance, scheduling, vital parameters, etc. in order to make better decisions to improve the business processes and save time as well as money. A logistic or transportation company needs to hire app developer who can inculcate these below-mentioned features.
1. Dashboard- Using this feature, all the drivers, along with the fleet, which is deftly attuned to the fleet management app, are actually monitored and managed by the admin.
2. Scheduling and Maintenance- All of the maintenance activities related to the fleet along with the service scheduling timetables are easily monitored and managed by the admin.
3. Customized Solutions- All of the delivery, packing as well as goods lifting solutions can be easily managed by the admin through these solutions. The admin reserves the right to add any particular specialized solution if required as per the requirements of the user.
4. Vehicle Tracking, Fuel Usage, and Performance Analysis- The vehicle tracking reports, fuel consumption charts along with performance indices recorded and the fuel average delivered by the different vehicles are management in this section by the admin.
5. Driver Management- In this particular section, all of the drivers who are responsible for making the deliveries are promptly managed by the admin.
6. Vehicle Management- In this part of the app, all of the basic information corresponding to the vehicles along with any other necessary details, are duly managed by the admin.
7. Promotional Activities- It is important for fleet management app development to have a separate section for marketing activities. In this particular section, the admin can manage and monitor all of the promotional advertisements, banners as well as email templates.
With the above-mentioned basic features, both at driver and admin end, there are a plethora of advanced features that can be inculcated in a fleet management app. Some of them are:
1. Speed Stop- With the assistance of this feature, the vehicle tracking or fleet management app can warn the drivers in case they exceed the speed limit. It is a great way to keep track of the vehicle speed as well as ensuring that the entire fleet is following all of the traffic rules.
2. Barcode Scan- Barcode scanning is the latest feature that has been used in automotive app development in recent times. There has been an increased use of Barcodes for streamlining different processes. Using this particular feature, the drivers can easily pay at all of the toll booths by simply scanning the barcode. With this particular feature, the drivers can promptly receive as well as accept the payments within the given app, which makes the entire payment ecosystem streamlined and transparent.
3. Automatic Driver Assignment- With the help of this feature, the fleet management app allows the vehicle drivers to seek any type of assistance or support in case they face a problem. The drivers can easily update all of their problem over the fleet management app and can receive assistance in a convenient way, quickly.
4. Dynamic Labelling- This allows the users to find their set of vehicles on the route easily. You can easily find and distinguish your fleet amongst all of the other vehicles and easily take any type of vital action in case there is a problem.
5. Job Schedule Board- This particular section of the app allows the users to schedule the entire fleet as per their convenience easily. With the assistance of the fleet management app, the user can easily create schedule the jobs for different users and also distribute specific tasks among different individuals for the purpose of making the deliveries within a given time frame.
6. GPS Tracking- With the assistance of GPS, vehicle drivers can keep track of the path to be followed in order to make the deliveries. Also, it assists the admin to easily keep track of the real-time location of drivers and the entire fleet in a much more simplified and convenient way.
7. Offline Vehicle Tracking- In a situation where the fleet is in remote areas, this offline vehicle tracking feature comes quite handy. With its assistance, the logistic and transportation companies can check their fleet in remote areas at any time and certainly from any place which makes the entire fleet management system quite transparent.
8. Customized Map Overlays- This particular feature allows the users to easily zoom into the map for accurately identifying the correct location of the fleet. The users can easily check the entire fleet in a particular operational zone and track all of the fleet activities in a seamless manner.
9. Route History- With the assistance of this feature, the companies can easily keep track of the entire route taken by every vehicle in their fleet. They can easily verify the actual path as well as routes taken by their vehicles which help them to analyze the distances covered along with aiding them in vehicle and fuel management. This is a crucial part of fleet maintenance app development.
10. Automated Notifications and Alerts- With the assistance of these, the drivers are duly alerted about various activities. For instance, a logistic company can set an alert for issues like lack of fuel, the wrong route is taken, etc. The fleet management app makes the drivers aware in case any of such problems occur.
With all of the features that have been mentioned above, there are several additional features that can be inculcated in a robust and innovative fleet management app. Some of them are:
1. Improved Security- The fleet management apps come with a great combination of vehicle sensors, GPS as well as other security features which ensure the safety of drivers and vehicles.
2. Fleet data history- With this particular feature, the business can have a complete picture of its fleet along with job assignments, fuel consumption, routes taken as well as the completion time of deliveries.
3. Cloud-based servers- Cloud-based servers have become an essential part of automotive application development. In the case of fleet management apps, too, these servers store all of the business data in a secure and reliable way. They also optimize the overall performance as well as the speed of the entire fleet management systems.
4. In-app messaging- This particular feature allows the drivers to easily communicate with their admin in case of any issue or problem like a vehicle going out of service.
5. Routing- This feature allows the logistic and transportation companies to set separate routes for different vehicles and the drivers which assist them in saving fuel and money.
Fleet Management App’s Technology Stack
When it comes down to technology stack, there are several options for mobile development services to choose from in order to develop the fleet management app as per their client’s requirements.
1. Push Notifications- For this purpose, Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) or Apple Push Notifications (APNS) can be utilized.
2. Text-based and Voice Verification- There are several options for this purpose such as Sinch, Nexmo, etc.
3. Payment Gateways- Various payment gateways can be integrated for the purpose of accepting payment. Some of the payment options are PayPal, Stripe, Braintree, etc. All of them are secure and reliable methods of online payment.
4. Data Management- Management of data remains to be a crucial aspect of fleet management application development, and Datastax is the perfect option for it.
5. Email Marketing Tools- For the purpose of email marketing, a mobile app development company can opt for Mail Chimp Integration in the app.
6. Operating System- Choosing the best suited operating system for fleet management apps is quite important, and the best one should be chosen according to the requirements of the client and type of app. CentOS, Macintosh, Debian, and Ubuntu are some of the operating systems which are best suited for fleet management apps.
7. Database- Fleet management requires the storage of a large volume of data which can be later used for analysis purposes. Postgres, MongoDB, Cassandra, and HBase are few of the databases that the company can use for the fleet management app it develops.
8. Cloud Environment- For the purpose of cloud-based servers and storage, mobile application development services can opt for Google or AWS.
9. Real-time Data Analytics- With the growing importance of data analytics in improving business processes and use in decision making, a mobile app development company should include real-time data analytics in its fleet management app. Some of the best data analytics tools which can be integrated are BigData, Hadoop, Spark, Cisco, Apache Flink, IBM.
Choosing Best App Development Partner
When it comes down to working on an innovative concept, it is best to keep up with unique ideation and choosing the right mobile application development company. The chosen mobile app development company should start with the right and best app development strategies for the purpose of developing a robust and innovative fleet management mobile app. Along with finding the right development company, it is important to hire key persons who can take the entire responsibility for the development of the fleet management app, right from scratch.
1. Project Manager- He or she should be able to easily identify the best solution for the business model of the client and should have a proper understanding of the entire mobile application development landscape.
2. App Developers- A logistic and transportation company should hire app developers who can be part of the technical team responsible for app development. This team consists of iOS and Android app developers who are headed by experienced and skilled project managers.
3. Designers- A suitable team of UI/UX designers makes it easier to comprehend the overall core idea of the mobile app and takes the entire essence of the app to a completely new level.
4. Testers- An experienced team of Quality Assurance experts can’t be undermined as they are the ones who are responsible to apply all sets of different unique combinations and carry on exhaustive tests to find bugs in the app if there are.
Cost of Fleet Management App Development
The cost of fleet management application development depends on the features the app will have. We have already discussed different features that the fleet management app should have. The average hourly cost of the development of such an app is around $20-$25.
If a company chooses to include only basic and few advanced features, then it can take up to 900 hours to develop a good fleet management app. If the company wants more advanced and additional features, it can take up to 1200 hours.
Now, the cost of development of such an app also includes the cost to hire the various people mentioned before, like project managers, developers, quality analysts, DB team, etc.
Considering all this, a robust and innovative fleet management app can cost between $22,500 and $30,000.
The transportation and logistics industry has gone a massive change with the adoption of the latest technologies. IoT, GPS, etc. has made it easier for the companies to keep track of vital data of their vehicles. Now fleet management apps have entered this industry which allows the companies to have complete information of their fleets at any time, from anywhere. With a plethora of features that these apps have, the companies can have real-time information about their fleets.
They can keep track of the vehicle, communicate with drivers, schedule the delivery, check fuel usage, keep an extensive record of all of the various deliveries made and routes are taken. These apps can be used by the drivers to pay at toll booths, send messages to admin in case of emergency and much more. Fleet maintenance application development has so much to offer to the entire transportation industry. In the coming years, we will also see artificial intelligence and machine learning implemented in these apps, which will further improve the efficiency of the logistic companies.